How do we make the Present Simple Tense?
|subject||+||auxiliary verb||+||main verb|
- For positive sentences, we do not normally use the auxiliary.
- For the 3rd person singular (he, she, it), we add s to the main verb or es to the auxiliary.
- For the verb to be, we do not use an auxiliary, even for questions and negatives.
|subject||auxiliary verb||main verb|
|+||I, you, we, they||like||coffee.|
|He, she, it||likes||coffee.|
|-||I, you, we, they||do||not||like||coffee.|
|He, she, it||does||not||like||coffee.|
|?||Do||I, you, we, they||like||coffee?|
|Does||he, she, it||like||coffee?|
|You, we, they||are||French.|
|He, she, it||is||French.|
|You, we, they||are||not||old.|
|He, she, it||is||not||old.|
|Are||you, we, they||late?|
|Is||he, she, it||late?|
How do we use the Present Simple Tense?We use the present simple tense when:
- the action is general
- the action happens all the time, or habitually, in the past, present and future
- the action is not only happening now
- the statement is always true
|John drives a taxi.|
|It is John's job to drive a taxi. He does it every day. Past, present and future.|
- I live in New York.
- The Moon goes round the Earth.
- John drives a taxi.
- He does not drive a bus.
- We meet every Thursday.
- We do not work at night.
- Do you play football?
|Am I right?
Tara is not at home.
You are happy.
|The situation is now.|
|I am not fat.
Why are you so beautiful?
Ram is tall.
|The situation is general. Past, present and future.|